Friday, July 6, 2012

B's Po' Boy - Fountain Square

This evening, my roommates and I ventured out to B's Po' Boy in Fountain Square, a five minute drive from our house. We moved in to the Fountain Square area back in May and have sampled many of the great eats in the area; however, we had passed B's dozens of times and had yet to stop in. 100 plus degree weather makes Katie loath to cook, so we all decided to finally hit it up.

The restaurant itself looked like the bistro version of a NOLA dive, which was a cool fusion (read: nicely framed shadowboxes of voodoo dolls on the wall). The menu was simple as to be expected from a place that headlines their main dish in the title. I settled on a fried shrimp po' boy, with fries and remoulade for the rest of the table, all washed down with a $5 pitcher of PBR (for the table too, of course. I'm no lush, even on my bad days).

The menu at B's advertises in a small bit of text at the bottom that "we've got bread", and bread they had. I heard tell that B's overnights their bread from NOLA; if that's the case, I have no problem believing it. The po' boy bread was the best part about the sandwich, so much so that it was the first thing I noticed (and honestly, how often do you notice your bread first when eating a sandwich).
The po' boy itself was a little short on fillin' (excepting lettuce, of which there was an exceptional amount) and my full sized po' boy had only about 8-10 small shrimps on it, which were pretty bland. The bread somehow made up for this, so it was a decent sandwich overall.
The fries tasted like they were from Burger King (though artfully salted and arranged) so overall forgettable, but I did spy some sweet potato fries at another table that looked pretty good. The remoulade was stellar, so that made up for the blandness of the fries. If I weren't such a wimp and liked really spicy things more, I think I would have eaten more of the remoulade. It was so good I barreled through more than would be expected with my heat-fearing taste buds.

The pricing was decent, though I don't know if I'd pay $9 again for what I deem to be a wimpy po' boy, but I have no regrets. It was a good meal, and washing it down with a pitcher of beer was a delightful end to an egregiously hot afternoon. The service at B's was very relaxed, and our waitress did a magnificent job at keeping us happy - even laughing at my roommates' bad jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment